4 Ways to Break the Ice with a Family with Special Needs

4 Ways to Break the Ice with a Family with Special Needs





As the creator of a blog for moms with special needs, I am soaked in the world of blogs, and I often find myself reading posts from other parents who travel similar paths. When I can, I share other blog posts about special needs on my Facebook page. Recently I found this publication written by a mother of a young child with special needs. It seems that, since their child's diagnosis is not evident to casual observers, people ask about him using a phrase that hurts: "What's wrong with the child?"

When I published the story, some of my sensible friends asked me: “What should I say?” They recognized that parents of children with special needs can often feel isolated, and do not want to do things wrong, causing more frustration... For me, who has been involved in the community of the disabled for many years, it is obvious, but before having a child with special needs, I would not have felt at all comfortable having to talk to these children or their parents.






How do you act when speaking to families with special needs? Some of what I present here will be subjective since each family is different, but there are some things that people can do to find an intermediate path when they have to deal with our children with special needs.

1 Talk to my son instead of asking about him. Imagine that you suddenly suffer a change in your abilities, whether physical or cognitive. How would you like to be treated? Would you like people to ask your family members about you, or would you prefer to be told directly? Keep in mind, however, that some people, especially within the autism spectrum, may not interact very well, so you should not take it personally.




2 smile. When my son had cancer, we had an exceptional exit to the zoo when he was completely stripped and swollen from steroids. My husband was transporting him in a cart, and for a while, I walked behind them. Most passersby made pain gestures when they saw my baby, and that broke my soul. A smile allows us to go much further, and when they look at us that way it is as if there is a double rainbow crossing the sky, it is something totally magical. When someone in public smiles at my family, my spirit rises, and this breaks down any barrier.


[SOUNDPRO SPORT -Get Now]


3 Use a phrase to break the ice. Does the boy have nice shoes? A winning smile? Is there a way to start a conversation with a positive comment? There are chances that, if they tell the caregiver of a child with special needs that "the child has very sweet eyes," the person will open and the conversation will flow naturally.

4 Be specific. If you are curious and feel that you want to know what disability the child has, then ask: "What is your diagnosis?" Instead of "What's wrong with the child?"





Parents of children with disabilities are usually vehement ambassadors, willing to help the world better understand their children. However, they are often tired, completely exhausted, both physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. But if you can help us bridge the gap, most of us will be pleased to initiate a pleasant interaction.

Win $75 Grocery Giftcard -Get Now








4 Ways to Break the Ice with a Family with Special Needs 4 Ways to Break the Ice with a Family with Special Needs Reviewed by Supper Rose on February 09, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.